Alan Altmark wrote on 08/02/2006 01:02:34 PM:

> You need to get the Linux guests directly on the VSWITCH and get out of
> the virtual router business.  The VSWITCH will be responsible for
managing
> OSA redundancy at a physical level rather than an IP routing level.

Alan,

Thanks for your response.

Please understand that each of my OSA adapters are connected to different
IP subnets (because, my network folks say, that provides optimum
redundancy:  completely different network hardware, from the OSA to the
switches/routers, etc., all down the line).

As a result, I'm not sure the physical redundancy automatically supported
by VSWITCH will really work for my installation.  The examples I've seen
with automatic VSWITCH failover seem to assume all OSAs are connected to
the same IP subnet.

With that in mind, it seems that moving the network connection of multiple
zLinux systems to VSWITCH moves the routing function from a single IP stack
(VM TCPIP) to each of the zLinux instances.  Thats the additional
management and automation I referred to in my previous note.  Also, I'm not
sure the combined overhead of running OSPF in each zLinux instance won't be
greater than handling all routing from one stack.

Am I off-base (at least in regards to this question)?

Dennis