> Would a direct VSWITCH connection to the zLinux server (running RHEL AS 4)
> be more flexible in this area?  In other words, is the Linux TCP/IP stack
> (w/ Zebra/OSPF) be more flexible?  Miguel, I don't really expect you to
> answer this part of the question because you're not supposed to be a Linux
> expert; maybe someone else on the listserve would know.  But, if you do

If you need to stick to your current network design for now, then yes, the
Linux IP stack benefits from about 25 years of newer features and has more
sophisticated IP traffic management capabilities. Replacing your current VM
TCPIP/MPROUTE setup with a Linux guest will definitely improve the
capabilities to do path selection and other router-related functions in the
router guest.

Long-term, Alan is correct; this needs to be a external switch/router design
problem; hosts shouldn't be getting involved with this kind of stuff if it's
avoidable.

-- db