We were asked to update our stand-alone dump procedures. We don't use
stand-alone dump very often, and the list of tape drives to use had gotte
badly out of date.

We discovered that z/OS can take a stand-alone dump to disk.  We get more

involved in DASD address changes than in tape address changes (we have to

move the data), so we would find it easier to keep a list of DASD
addresses up-to-date. We run "lights-out" data centers, so operations
would prefer not to have to mount a tape half-way across the country.

Is there some way to take a stand-alone dump to DASD for VM? If not, woul
this be worth a SHARE requirement?

z/OS apparantly requires stand-alone dumps more often that VM. When a z/O
system fails, it "varies itself out of the plex" -- at which point our

operations is instructed to take a stand-alone dump.

I'm not sure when we really need a VM stand-alone dump. Usually a PSW
restaret will get us a dump. How often do you use stand-alone dumps?