On Aug 9, 2006, at 9:44 AM, David Boyes wrote:
It is *technically* possible to run unmodified Windows applications on
zSeries (photos on request). It is *prohibitively* resource- intensive to
do so, and provides no consolidation or licensing benefits.  Each
virtual machine running a Intel processor emulator and a copy of Windows
consumes approximately 180-220 zSeries MIPS to emulate a 200-210 Mhz
Pentium II-class CPU idling at the desktop. No applications, just
desktop.

That obviously won't scale.

The argument
got was "well it runs on apple computers now"

No, you were mostly right. We did it here at SNA as a proof of concept,
but there is no -- that's zero, nada, nyet, nein, it'll stop hurting
when you stop doing that --  basis for recommending such a thing for
production use.

Agreed.

However, Dave Jones may have been on to something, when he mentioned Platform Solutions:

I don't know if Fundamental Software would have a cow if you did this, but I see no reason why a beefy multi-way SMP intel box running Flex/ES shouldn't give you, say, 20 or 30 MIPS of z/VM workload at the same time it's got a couple things running on the Linux side of things (because Flex *can* run z/VM just fine; we're using it now-- it's slower than the H70 was, but it's not awful by any means), and a couple more things running on a Windows instance inside a VMware container.

This isn't what your management means, of course, but you might get low-end-of-adequate performance out of each environment, with enough memory and also quite a bit of CPU horsepower (memory is a bigger issue, though).

Adam