> Eventually we found a guest that allowed us to attach the tape, so we
> assune that system had it assigned. We haven't the foggiest why -- that
> system wasn't running anything special.
>
> I gather that CP (or VMTAPE) sends a CCW to the controller to get
> the "assigned elsewhere" information. Is there any CCW to find out where
> it IS assigned?

For years we have removed tape assignment here.
The FFB exit adds "NOASSIGN" to every ATTACH
command of a tape device, except if the requestor
was RMSMASTR. The exception is to ensure that
virtual VTS tapes are unloaded when detached
(tapes attached with NOASSIGN are not automatically
unloaded when the user detaches them).

We have never suffered any ill effects of not using
ASSIGN. Our tape usage is in VSE, via the tape catalog
of DYNAM/T which keeps everything neat. YMMV I guess.

Shimon

P.S. I just remembered another exception. If the ATTACH
command had an explicit ASSIGN on it, then I dont try to
make it NOASSIGN.
Shimon Lebowitz                mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
VM System Programmer           mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Israel Police National HQ.     http://www.poboxes.com/shimonpgp
Jerusalem, Israel              phone: +972 2 530-9877  fax: 530-9308