Kris Buelens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>1. The share assigned to a partition is divided by the number of
>processors of the partition.  This is the weight the LPAR dispatcher uses
>when it searches for a "virtual" processor to dispatch on a real one.
>Example: 2 parttions, each has weight 40, partion 1 has 1 engine, part 2
>has two.  So, the LPAR dispatcher has 3 virtual processor to run:
> Part 1 CPU 1 weigth  40
> Part 2 CPU 1 weigth  20
> Part 2 CPU 2 weigth  20
>So, when the system is really busy, the LPAR dispatcher will tend to pick
>the processor of part 1 more than those of part 2.  And thus indeed:
>adding a logical processor to a partition may degrade its performance. You
>will need to increase the weight of te partition.

>The VM's dispatcher works the same way.

I think that Kris has put his finger on the problem here. I could not see how taking engines away from minor partitions could adversely affect the more important ones but this explanation makes it clear.

Instead of having to deal with balancing the weight needed for overall workload with the weight in the dispatch queues we have persuaded all concerned to go back to even allocation of processors to all partitions, (this was our recommendation in the first place but operations management knew better!).

Thank to all for their input.

Colin Allinson
Amadeus Data Processing