Steve Gentry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>So, Bill, are you saying that in almost all cases, we should use no more
>than 2GB
>of extended storage.  What happens when the 2GB is exceeded?

In z/VM 5.1.0 and earlier, no. In z/VM 5.2.0, yes. When you exceed this,
you start to page to DASD which you probably would page to DASD,
no matter how much cstore you convert to xstore, except for the
exception Barton pointed out where the average age gets so low, we
just skip the xstore and page directly to DASD. The goal is to have
just enough xstore to aid the LRU selection by the use of
timestamping in xstore and act as a sort of shock absorber for
paging. In the measurements and customer data so far, 2GB has
shown to be acceptable. I'm sure there are other exceptions that
I haven't thought of yet or seen.

Bill Bitner - VM Performance Evaluation - IBM Endicott - 607-429-3286