z/VM 4.4

I am trying to determine when the contents of an SFS directory change. Not in real time, I mean at any given time I'd like to query the directory to see when the most recent change to any of the contents occurred. As in a file added, removed, renamed or updated.

I could look at the CMS timestamps of each file within the directory, but that would not detect deletions.

The CSL DMSEXST routine returns a buffer of good stuff... at displacement 268 and 222 of the DIR Record are the UTC date/time of the last change.

This does not seem to be what I was expecting. :-( I renamed a file in the directory, but the date/time returned by DMSEXIST didn't change.

Is there a way to tell when the directory was changed?

In this case I'm really not too worried about deletions... and thought if I really need to pursue this, I'll do something like calculate a CRC from the file names/types and modification timestamps and keep that. Obviously that won't tell me WHEN the last change occurred, but it will tell me that something changed since the last time I looked.

Thanks