On 9/9/06, Thomas Kern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

If you programmed the server to properly, it could keep N copies of older SDF
files. N would of course be specified in the server's configuration file. You
might also want to program in some exceptions.

Sure :-)  But for some reason those things need to go wrong first.
You probably would not want to keep N copies of each NSS if that spans
a long period of time. Let alone these huge DCSS files you have for
Linux doing XIP. And if your coworker saves the wrong CMS 5 times you
would not want to be left with just 5 backups of that. So you want a
mix of the two.
Having that nightly backup is not so bad at all because that probably
also means that you still have the backup the entire day to recover.
And in the unlikely event of a failure you'd have change management
help you determine which needs to be redone. I think we used save the
NSS files on the monday after a weekend with segment changes, and keep
a few copies of those tapes.

Rob