On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 15:52 -0500, Ron Greve wrote:
> Alan
>
> Ok, I think I'm looping here   ;-)
>
> Two questions.
>
> First, how does this statement from the TCPIP Planning and Config
> quide relate to how I define the IOCP statements?
>
> >**********************************************************************
> >
> >maybe it's 'cause you are trying to attach ctc and cnc type chpids?
> >
> >also from TCPIP Planning and Config:
> >If you are using HCD on OS/390 or z/OS, these  devices must be defined
> >as "CTCA" on the VM side, and "SCTC" on the OS/390 or z/OS side"
> >David
> >***********************************************************************
>

> >Not.  VM TCP/IP supports 3088/ESCON/FICON CTCAs in extended mode.  You
> >must code one end of the connection as TYPE=CTC and the other end as
> >TYPE=CNC.  Code UNIT=SCTC on both ends.  If you code UNIT=BCTC, then the
> >attempt by TCP/IP to switch the adapter to extended mode is ignored
> >(no-op) and things will go rapidly downhill.  No I/O error (i.e. Command
> >Reject), but a link that doesn't operate correctly.
> >

> >Alan Altmark
> >z/VM Development
> >IBM Endicott
>
> Question two,
>
> Isn't this what we have in the IOCP
> etc. (which is giving us the unit
> checks)  from our original posting?
> If not, what are we not seeing?
>
> Thanks for trying to untangle my old synapses.  ;-)
> Ron Greve

>   Here are our current IOCP definitions again along with the attach     .
>   and LINK/DEVICE statements.
>   We are going between ESA11 and the IFL
>

>   CHPID PATH=02,TYPE=CNC,PARTITION=(ESA11,ESA12,IFL),SHARED
>   CHPID PATH=03,TYPE=CTC,PARTITION=(ESA11,ESA12,IFL),SHARED
>
> * ESA11 <-> IFL
>   CNTLUNIT CUNUMBR=0501,PATH=(03),UNIT=SCTC,UNITADD=((00,32)),CUADD=1
>   CNTLUNIT CUNUMBR=0403,PATH=(02),UNIT=SCTC,UNITADD=((00,32)),CUADD=3

In the above section check that the CUADD is EQ to the Lpar Number in
the HCD Definition.

> * ESA11 <->  IFL
>
>   IODEVICE ADDRESS=(0440,32),CUNUMBR=(0403),UNITADD=00,                 X
>                 UNIT=SCTC,PART=(ESA11,ESA12,IFL)
>   IODEVICE ADDRESS=(0500,32),CUNUMBR=(0501),UNITADD=00,                 X
>                 UNIT=SCTC,PART=(ESA11,ESA12,IFL)

In the above section the Destination LPAR should not be in the candidate
list. EG if you are using 448 and 449 to communicate **TO** LPAR IFL
then do not specify IFL in the Partition list. You can then have all
lpars that wish to communicate **TO** that LAPR use the same addresses.

(** NB My experience is all with z/OS and not VM -- but this is hardware
and should apply)

--
Jerry Whitteridge
Safeway Inc.

"MMS <safeway.com>" made the following annotations.
Warning:
All e-mail sent to this address will be received by the Safeway corporate
e-mail system, and is subject to archival and review by someone other than the
recipient.  This e-mail may contain information proprietary to Safeway and is
intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s).  If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that you have
received this message in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution
or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify the sender immediately.