My apologies for the following Blatant Product Advertising:

Tivoli Storage Manager includes the concept of Lan Free Backup wherby a TSM agent on a system with content to be backed up has SAN access to the TSM tape drives owned by the TSM server. The TSM agent backs up directly to the tape drives and lets the TSM server know what went where.

I know this is there for distributed platforms in general, but I do not know whether Linux on Z can play too.

This concludes the Blatant Product Advertising. Thank you for your tolerance.

--
Jay Brenneman