We installed VM63952 back in early July when preparing for an replacement
of a z990 by a z9.

Due to a problem we were shooting with Level 2 regarding virtual Coupling
Facilities, and perhaps due to less than desired communications from the
z/OS sysprogs working on guest z/OS system, it took a few CP ABENDs to
recognize that we were having a problem with PAV minidisks.  Even though
they were full-pack minidisks on PAV devices, they were still minidisks
that caused a CP ABEND PRG006 whenever the sysprog tried to run ICKDSF
INIT in them.

That problem was fixed by application of VM64036/UM31865 (which is NOT
marked HIPER, but IMHO should be).  Since then it has been rock solid.

Were I to now apply the mini-SPE VM63952/UM31784 (which you cannot search
for in VMSES after application since it really appears to be a package of
other PTFs; mutter-grumble-harrumpff!), I would also install
VM64075/UM31868.  It's another PAV-related PTF without which CP can ABEND.

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
Any opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of Hewitt Associates.

"Dennis Schaffer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
09/26/2006 03:01 PM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
VM63952 / UM31784 - z/VM v5.2 New Function PTF

Has anyone installed VM63952 and its z/VM v5.2 PTF UM31784?  Does it seem
reliable?  Has it caused any problems?  What type of processor are you
running?

I'm installing z/VM v5.2 and considering whether to install UM31784
because
I'm interested in the PAV support and because a z9 may be in the picture
next year.  However, it seems to be a pretty significant (and relatively
new) PTF and I'm wondering if anyone has made the leap yet?

On a related subject, has anyone made use of the PAV minidisk support (w/
Linux) yet?  Did it help?

Any feedback?

Thanks in advance,

Dennis Schaffer
Mutual of Omaha

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any
dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by
anyone other than the intended recipient
is strictly prohibited.