> I'm not sure I care about channel attached tape libraries from Linux.
> It would be nice, but not necessary, in this case.
> I'm more concerned that Suse can read/write to an IBM 3490 virtual
> tape.
> Since I can't mount a particular VTS tape from Linux, I was thinking
of
> having a CMS type process controlling everything.

It'd be useful to be able to tell the VTS what to mount from the OS
that's actually using the drive. You can fake that with the tape mount
daemon Adam wrote. That, plus a wrapper around 'mt' mostly works -- for
the channel-attached drives. You don't have any way to manipulate the
FCP drives.

> Yesterday, we were told that the public keys can be handled by Linux
> (didn't say zLinux)

Better ask. Last time I checked, they only supported Linux on Intel, and
only for the FCP-attached drives. You really don't want to mess with
doing this with the library manager.

> I might not be able to automatically generate new keys for each tape,
> but a set of keys per week or so, shouldn't be too hard to do.

It is hard without the support utilities. There's a LOT of digits in
those keys, and the LM interface isn't trivial or easy.