From: Dodds, Jim
Sent: Monday, October 02, 2006 1:59 PM
To: 'The IBM z/VM Operating System'
Subject: Z/VM 4.4 system question

I hope that this list may assist or point me in the right direction for this problem.

I have inherited an incomplete project from a coworker that is longer with the school. Currently we have a Z/VM 4.4 system in a separate LPAR called TECH, that was to be used to convert an set of array in our Shark dasd subsystem from 3380 to another array set in 3390 format and to experiment with running Linux under Z/VM. But before I could begin work on it I had a request to get SECUREFTP installed from CSI installed by the end of this week. Upon investigation our spare Ethernet adapter in the MP3000 is currently owned by TECH LPAR and the next window for a system IPL to change the IOCP is at the end of this month. Both sets of DASD arrays are shared in the TECH LPAR. So I decided to move our vary off our dasd for the TECHVSE system on the PROD LPAR and vary on the same dasd to the TECH LPAR. I have added the directory entries to the TECH z/VM directory for the TECHVSE system. But when I try to IPL the TECHVSE system on the z/VM system on the TECH LPAR I get this message:

HCPMCV1459E The virtual machine is placed in check-stop state due to a system malfunction with CPU 00.

Explanation: The virtual machine was placed in check-stop state due to an

uncorrectable system malfunction. This system malfunction could not be

described specifically by a machine check interrupt condition.

Some possible malfunctions are:

A bad page in a Named Saved System (NSS):

        This problem may be reflected to other users sharing the NSS. An

        example would be a damaged page on DASD that is part of the CMS NSS.

        The same could be true of a Discontiguous Saved Segment (DCSS).

A damaged processor:

        A damaged processor may be taken offline and the user redispatched.

System Action: Execution of instructions and interrupts terminates, the

interval timer is not updated, and console function mode is entered.

User Response: Enter the SYSTEM RESET or SYSTEM CLEAR command to leave

check-stop state. If the problem persists, contact your system programmer. The

check-stop may be indicative of a more serious error.

System Programmer Response:  In the case of a failed NSS or DCSS, resave the

segment or system that failed.  If another DASD pack is available, use it to

retry the IPL. If the problem persists, contact your IBM Support Center

Personnel to diagnose and correct the error.

I have read the message but I cannot understand what is wrong. Our MP3000 has only one processor. I switched the dasd volumes back to the PROD LPAR and was able to IPL the TECHVSE. I switched the DASD back to the TECH LPAR and received the same message. Any help or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Dodds

Systems Programmer

Kentucky State University

400 East Main Street