On Thursday, 10/05/2006 at 05:15 EST, Dave de Noronha
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have just obtained a P390 and a copy of z/VM 3.1 from a company that
> purchased the licence a long time ago.  As I now own the licence and it
is
> now unsupported can I run it on Hercules ?

** Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, though I have watched a lot of lawyers
on TV.  But I don't think that counts. **

No, and I'm sorry to say that I don't believe you aren't licensed to run
it on the P390, either.  z/VM 3.1 is licensed under the terms of the IBM
Customer Agreement (ICA) and is non-transferrable.  "A long time ago"
doesn't matter.

If the company you got the P390 and software from did not notify IBM that
they were discontinuing its use, they are still getting billed and you are
running it as *their* agent.  Their license with IBM makes them
responsible for what you do with the software.  If they *did* notify IBM,
then they were supposed to destroy it, not give it away (this is in the
license).  When an ICA license is discontinued, your rights to use the
product are terminated.

z/VM V4 and V5 are licensed under different terms and conditions (IPLA,
the International Program License Agreement) that do allow a transfer of
your Proof of Entitlement to a 3rd party as long as a Service and Support
agreement is *not* in effect.  Unlike ICA, you can continue to run the
product forever as long as you don't transfer it to someone else, and you
don't owe us additional money unless you add another CPU.  If you transfer
it to someone else, *they* get to run it forever and you have to stop.

This really gets into some legal issues that can't be readily resolved
here in the list and I'm not qualified (or allowed) to give you legal
advice.  I just read the license agreements and the above is an unofficial
interpretation of what I read.  You can read them, too, at
http://www-304.ibm.com/jct03004c/businesscenter/cpe/download0/21508/ica.pdf.
 Note that this is for the United States only.  I don't know where the
country-specific ICAs are located.

Anyone interested in the IPLA agreements (base and product-specific
Licence Information Documents) can read those at
http://www-03.ibm.com/software/sla/sladb.nsf.  Country-specific
differences are included.

They aren't particularly long, nor are they written in legalese.

Alan Altmark
Speaking for himself