Tom Duerbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
>How many others have shipped dumps, online, back before high speed
>Internet connections?

This is the inverse, or maybe the perverse:

In 1990 or so, we had a distributor in Europe.  A customer took a database
ABEND and was very unhappy.  I was in Manhattan that day speaking 4x at MVMUA,
and over lunch called the office (pre-cellphone!) and heard about the crisis.
"We might need you to come back immediately", I was told.  "Um...that makes no
sense: I need the dump.  Get them to overnight it and I'll be back tonight,
will look at it tomorrow."

So the next day, FredEks (or more likely DHL) delivers a too-large, too-heavy
box.  I open it...and find a paper dump!

The lucky part was, I was able to find an overlay in page 0, so I was able to
diagnose it impressively quickly...

...phsiii