Same here.
Steve G,

"O'Brien, Dennis L" <Dennis.L.O'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

10/11/2006 07:18 PM
Please respond to The IBM z/VM Operating System

        To:        IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Use of VMSES/E SERVICE EXEC w/ CP Modifications

Dennis,
It's safe to use SERVICE and PUT2PROD on a system that has VM:Secure
Rules installed.  I do it all the time.

Dennis O'Brien

There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those that understand binary
and those that don't.

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Dennis Schaffer
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 16:08
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: [IBMVM] Use of VMSES/E SERVICE EXEC w/ CP Modifications

Hi,

We have historically used the VMSES/E SERVICE EXEC to install RSU and
COR
service to the Starter System during our initial z/VM installations.

Shortly after the Starter System has reached our desired level of
maintenance, we implement CP usermods in support of CA's VM:Secure Rules
facility.  That consists of replacing object decks for six CP modules
with
versions supplied by CA.  We use the official VMSES techniques (VMFREPL,
VMFBLD) to replace those CP modules and rebuild the CP nucleus.

Thereafter, we avoid use of the SERVICE EXEC to install subsequent CP
maintenance because I recall that SERVICE only works on an "unmodified"
(whatever that means) VM system.  We've used VMFREC, VMFMRDSK, VMFAPPLY,
VMFBLD, etc.) to install subsequent maintenance.  I've tried to find
documentation on what sort of modifications are supported in order to
continue using SERVICE and I'm unable to find that documentation.

Can anyone point me to any documentation which describes the limitations
of
SERVICE EXEC w/ modified VM systems?  Alternatively, can anyone tell me
if
its safe to use SERVICE with the usermods I've described?  I suspect I'm
being too conservative and maybe I can continue to use SERVICE but I
want
to be certain.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide,

Dennis Schaffer
Mutual of Omaha