David, while I was once the relationship manager between FSI and IBM (working for IBM), I can only guess based on that history, what might be going on in either company.   I'm sure you already realize this is a very complex situation between two companies coming to terms with a number of issues and a multitude of options.   Unfortunately for all of us, the PWD program wound up in the middle.

First, I am certain that FSI would continue their support of the PWD program, if they felt comfortable in doing so.  They have worked with IBM and the PWD resellers to provide several hundred licenses in support of that program, which seems to have been a success.  Apparently, FSI now feels a degree of risk due to the expiration of certain IBM patents on 11/1 along with some agreements that are dated..  (Note:  This was covered in some detail on the FLEX LISTSERV..)  Conversely, IBM owns the patents, approves zArch licenses for PWD use,  and simply expects FSI to continue delivering them via PWD resellers (Cornerstone and T3) for distribution to the PWD members.  It seems a simple enough matter to resolve and we all hope that will happen some time soon.... at least by November.

I suspect that both IBM and FSI are working hard to resolve the issues before them. Unfortunately, we can't predict if/when they will reach an agreement.   For this reason Steve Friedman (T3) and I have been notifying partners of the pending end date.  Hopefully, IBM and FSI will reach an agreement that benefits us all.  Whatever the outcome, Cornerstone intends to continue support for our PWD customers.

Regards,
Len Diegel
VP IBM zSeries &  zFrame Solutions
Cornerstone Systems Inc.