When I did the ALLOCATE (cpfmtxa vdev vser allocate), the correct current
allocation map was displayed before the new extents were entered. I reallocated
only the new areas, changing existing PARMs to PERM and defining new PARM
extents in what had been PERM space. I did not reenter any of the other, DRCT,
SPOL, or TDSK, allocations. Following the allocation, the correct new extents
were displayed. See the current allocation map, below.

ICK03021I 7618 IS FORMATTED FOR VM/XA|ESA MODE

          CYLINDER ALLOCATION CURRENTLY IS AS FOLLOWS:
          TYPE     START      END        TOTAL
          ----     -----      ---        -----
          PERM     0          30         31
          DRCT     31         47         17
          PERM     48         55         8
          TDSK     56         105        50
          PERM     106        2483       2378
          PARM     2484       2558       75
          PERM     2559       2899       341
          SPOL     2900       3099       200
          PARM     3100       3174       75
          PERM     3175       3338       164

ICK00001I FUNCTION COMPLETED, HIGHEST CONDITION CODE WAS 0

FORMAT writes a record of all zeros for 0/0/2; there are no odd bits turned on
in it. The scattered bits in the first 200 bytes of the record are an
indication that cylinder 0 had not been reformatted. Further, it could not have
been an accidental implied format as in "cpfmtxa vdev vser" because that would
have formatted the entire volume, not just almost zero out 0/0/2. I am not
quick enough to stop such an accident in time to avert disaster if that were
the case. The original parm disk, which was located in cylinders 1-30, is still
intact - I just checked.

Regards,
Richard Schuh