From: The IBM z/VM Operating System on behalf of Alan Altmark
Sent: Tue 14/11/2006 3:38 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Sending e-mail fails

On Tuesday, 11/14/2006 at 03:03 EST, "Horlick, Michael"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have 2 TCP/IP stacks set up, one for the client and one for us. I have
setup
> an SMTP server for each stack and the clients one is working fine.
> However, mine is not working.
>
> The IP address I have specified as IPMAILERADDRESS I can communicate
with it
> from my CMS account and send e-mail to it using MAIL FROM, RCPT TO and
DATA
> commands. Using the MAILIT (which works fine fine for the other stack) I
see on
> the console for my SMTP machine :
>
> RDR FILE 0094 SENT FROM MIKE     PUN WAS 1989 RECS 0010 CPY  001 A
NOHOLD NOKEEP
> DTCSMT1304I 11/14/06 14:36:50 Received  Spool File 0094 From MIKE at
CGIVM
> DTCSMT1305I 11/14/06 14:36:50 BSMTP Helo Domain:  CGIVM  Yours too, I
see!
> DTCSMT1311I 11/14/06 14:36:50 Received Note 00000001 via BSMTP From
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> and that's it. It doesn't get to me.
>
> Any ideas ?

Remember that unless you code "IPMAILERADDRESS ALL ..." the specified
mailer is only contacted when the VM SMTP server can't resolve the domain
name.  So, I'm guessing the failing machine can resolve the domain but
can't actually contact the target mail server.

Use SMSG <yourSMTP> LISTMAIL ALL to see the list of pending mail.  If it's
waiting or retrying, then it didn't send it to the IPMAILERADDRESS.