From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of David Boyes
Sent: November 15, 2006 12:03 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Question on PCL & LPR printers

> Sometimes the client asks for the characters to be bigger but I
explain that for a fixed
> font I cannot specify a point size when specifying PCL code. I know in
Microsoft Word, I
> can specify, for example, Courier font and can choose a different
point size.

Well, you can specify it in the PCL string, but you probably won't like
the outcome. The printer will pick the closest built-in font that it
possesses, which may not be a good choice. The reason it works with Word
is that if the font is not built into the printer driver, Microsoft
switches to graphics mode in the printer and draws the characters
directly, or creates downloadable font glyphs on-demand for what it
prints. If you force it to use only the printer fonts, you'll get the
same result in Word.

> I have not looked into defining any printers as postscript printers.
Would it make any
> difference in the flexibility with regards to the size of the
characters that are printed or > other capabilities that can not be
obtained with prefix PCL coding?

Postscript would allow you a *great deal* more flexibility. PostScript
permits arbitrary font scaling, much smarter imaging, and in general is
a better deal all around. Use PostScript whenever possible.

You may want to look into driving your PCL-only printers behind a
outboard Linux box running CUPS, and feeding RSCS output to the Linux
box for preprocessing. CUPS provides the ability to transcode PostScript
to PCL (using GhostScript, a software PostScript interpreter, on the
Intel box), which would provide the PCL-only printers equivalent
function to a printer with inboard PostScript. You *really* don't want
to do this function on the zSeries -- PostScript imaging is CPU-bound
and it eats resources like crazy -- but a spare Pentium 200 makes a
really nice imaging server and you get a enormous improvement in
printing capability for a small investment.