On 11/17/06, Richard Corak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Manual scanning of the source is painful,

Actually, it's rather easy.  I have a 300 line REXX command that
reads a list of LISTING files, reads the LISTINGs, parses the
"Macro and Copy Code Source Summary" section, extracts the entries,
and builds dependencies (in my personal format).

That's scanning the assembler output, not really the source. But
you're right. My brains was on the eligable list.

When you assemble the source (after a change of the source) you update
the list of used macros. That's enough to determine which source files
must be assembled again when a macro changes.
And the extra member that VMFMAC maintains in the maclib can tell
which members changed.

Rob (now that my brains had its timeslice, my hands need dispatched)