On: Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 08:51:13AM -0500,Phil Smith III Wrote:

} Mike Walter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
} <snip>
} >It would be really nice if we could issue some CP commands (such as
} >starting the virtual console SPOOLing) from the user's directory entry so
} >that missing devices error messages and such at logon and such could be
} >logged.
}
} I've always wanted this, but it's important to realize that it's not as
simple as adding a card to the directory and a call to HCPCMDxx (I think; it's
been a while!) to LOGON processing.  There would have to be some restrictions
on that commands you can issue -- SHUTDOWN would be, like, bad.  SAVESYS?  IPL?
 Do these directory commands come before or after the IPL that's already in the
directory?  Etc., etc., etc.  (No, you can't just restrict it to Class G
commands -- someone will make SAVESYS or SHUTDOWN a Class G command.  Yeah,
your gun your foot, but an *unintuitive* gun and foot, and this is VM, not some
other OS).

If I were doing it at IBM, I would add an extra operand to the directory
SPOOL statement such as:

   SPOOL 009 . . . . . AUTOstart [to userid|*]

and logon would simply do a bit more upon creating the vdev.

--
Rich Greenberg  N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com  + 1 239 543 1353
Eastern time.  N6LRT  I speak for myself & my dogs only.    VM'er since CP-67