> I do a significant amount of z/OS -> RSCS -> lpr_link -> PS printer
traff
> ic
> for our database users. The network aspects of lpr have caused us some
> problems in the past and would like to know the benefits of switching
> an
> IPP type of traffic. Can you explain to the list Why/How IPP benefits
our

> hosts and the networks we have to work in?

Sure.

1) IPP has a clear and unambiguous standard that is vendor-independent
and is substantially more function-rich than LPR/LPD. The written
standard for LPR/LPD does not reflect the actual usage and
implementation of the protocol (as IBM and others have discovered over
time).

2) IPP was designed to handle intelligent printers, and provides methods
for specifying print options and option handling that are not possible
with LPR/LPD.  Think forms, overlays, operator setup, font
specification, tray selection  -- all are easy and vendor-independent
with IPP, and a complete bear with LPD.

3) IPP was designed to operate in an environment where intelligent
resources identify themselves to an IPP implementation and can be
automatically served without human intervention. Configuration in an
IPP-aware environment is substantially simpler -- and can be
server-based, client-based or peer-to-peer without single points of
failure.

4) IPP was designed to operate in a hostile network environment. It
provides clearly architected ways to implement encryption,
authentication, and logging, and is substantially more firewall-friendly
than LPR/LPD. It also provides a clearly architected and documented
accounting stream (as implemented in CUPS, anyway).

5) LPR/LPD support is slowly being deprecated by the printer vendors.
Many of the newer printers have LPD as an option, but it needs to be
installed or ordered separately. IPP is enabled by default (thank our
friends at Apple for making CUPS the default for OS X).