From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Anne Crabtree
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2006 2:32 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: PERM space

OK, so what if I wanted to put MAINT's 500 disk on there..  that's how
this whole thing got started in my mind.   I do have reserved slots
which follow the ones that are cpowned.  I was just going to change the
7th (which is RESERVED) to 510W01...

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 11/30/2006 4:24 PM >>>
As mentioned, there i sno need to make a volume CPOWNED when it does not

contain space for CP use.

And, you only need to format the area's CP will use with ICKDSF:
cylinder
ranges you later devote the CMS minidisks will be formatted by the CMS
FORMAT command later on, so
 CPVOL format UNIT(1748) RANGE(0000,0000) TYPE(PERM,0000,3338)
VFY(510W01)
can save quite some formatting time.

If the slots displayed below truely reflect the contents of your SYSTEM
CONFIG, I'd suggest to add some RESERVED slots.  Then you can define
extra
CP owned volumes without IPL

Kris,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support

The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU> wrote on
2006-11-30 21:59:33:

> I need to add a 510W01 volume to z/vm as PERM space and I already
> have the following defined in SYSTEM CONFIG:
> CP_Owned   Slot   1  510RES
> CP_Owned   Slot   2  510SPL
> CP_Owned   Slot   3  510PAG
> CP_Owned   Slot   4  510PG1
> CP_Owned   Slot   5  510PG2
> CP_Owned   Slot   6  510PG3
> Any problem with just adding it as Slot 7?

> Was planning on do this under MAINT on the fly:
> CPVOL FMT UNIT(1748) RANGE(0000,3338) TYPE(PERM,0000,3338) VFY(510W01)
> DEFINE CPOWNED SLOT 7 510W01
> ATT 1748 MAINT
> CPVOL ALLOC UNIT(1748) RANGE(0000,3338) TYPE(PERM,0000,3338)
VFY(510W01)
> DET 1748 MAINT
> ATT 1748 SYSTEM

> Just want to make sure this scenario will work and not hurt
anything...