From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Mike Walter
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2006 12:02 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: CMSCALL return code

Sheesh, this goes way back to my good old Assembler diaper days when
programmers really cared about performance instead of drag and drop
solutions.
Slightly off-topic: if I remember correctly, we argued intensely about
zeroing a GPR and the performance differences between:
- SR R15,R15
- XR R15,R15
- LA R15,0    (not seriously considered by performance geeks)
- L R15,=F'0' (considered for use only by amateur programmers coming
from a BASIC or COBOL background and otherwise held in low esteem by
"real programmers").  ;-)

IIRC, the actual performance difference between SR and XR was different
based more on specific processor models that anything else.

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
Any opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of Hewitt Associates.