On Thursday, 12/07/2006 at 12:19 CST, "Huegel, Thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> I have  been reading way too much and still don't know how to do it.
>
> Here  is what I have.
>
> Users  with PC's (IP addresses) telnet to a server (AIX box) that
converts the
> IP  packets to SNA it then connects to the z/890 on an OSA-E (non-IP)
port
> where  VTAM takes over.
>
> Now we  want to redeploy this AIX box and run the IP to SNA software on
z/LINUX
> under  z/VM 5.2.
>
> My  first vision was to create an ETHERNET VLAN connect z/LINUX and VTAM
to it
> and go have a beer.
>
> It  just doesn't appear that that will work.

Correct.  VM VTAM cannot speak to a LAN without an XCA node, and XCA
(LSA-mode OSA) is not simulated.  But you can use a virtual CTC between CS
Linux and VM VTAM.

> The  solution I am thinking of now is to use real hardware to route my
SNA
> traffic  back and forth between VTAM and the z/LINUX SNA server on real
OSA
> ports.
>
> Is  that right? Or have I missed something?

You could use an OSA if you want.  Have you considered implementing
another VM TCP/IP stack that has the SCEXIT setup to DIAL VTAM?  CS Linux
is extremely useful for environments where you need/want Enterprise
Extender functionality for VM VTAM; you don't appear to need that.