From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Schuh, Richard
Sent: December 8, 2006 3:58 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: How to find tag info for a spool file not your own

Perhaps even better - use an EXEC that sends the command to RSCS and uses the
Command Response Interface to receive the result. Here is one that I have been
using for years:

GETRSCS EXEC

/*
   This exec issues a command to an RSCS machine and returns the response to
the caller
   in a stem variable. GETRSCS may be called in one of the following ways:

   1. 'EXEC GETRSCS parms'
   2. call getrscs parms
   3. var = getrscs(parms)

   In all cases, the caller must be an exec which can receive its response in
an array.

   The possible parameters are:

   Parameter  Description
   STEM var   specifies the name of the stem variable into which the reply is
to be placed. If no
              stem is specified, then "STEM REPLY." will be assumed. Upon
return, var0 will contain
              the number of lines in the reply and the reply will occupy var1
through varn (var0 = n).
   TEST       specifies that the command is to be issued to a test RSCS
mmachine. If omitted, RSCS will
              be the target VM.
   filters    specifies whether headings and messages are to be filtered out or
returned with the reply.
              The possible filter values are "H", indicating that headings are
to be included, and "M",
              indicating that messages are to be included. If neither H nor M
is specified, then only
              the command reply is returned. Order of specification (if both
are included) is unimportant.
   command    is the command to be issued to the RSCS machine.

   Order of parameters:

   "STEM var" and "TEST", if specified must preceed "filters" and "command".
Order between these two is arbitrary.
   "filters", if specified,  must immediately preceed "command" which must
always be last.

   Written: 10/06/98 by Richard Schuh
   Revised: 12/09/98 by rns - PIPE was not ending if GETRSCS was executed from
ISPF environment
*/

address command                /* Issue CMS and CP commands directly */
signal on novalue              /* Trap possible use of uninitialized variables
*/
signal on syntax               /* Trap possible REXX syntax errors */

arg stuff
rscsid = 'RSCS'
array = 'reply.'
le = '15'x                                             /* line-end */
wait = '10'
stg = ''                                               /* initialize some stuff
*/
hdgs = 0
msgs = 0
do forever
   parse var stuff tst stuff
   select;
      when tst = 'TEST' then rscsid = 'RSCST'
      when tst = 'STEM' then parse var stuff array stuff
      when tst = 'H' then hdgs = 1                     /* headings wanted */
      when tst = 'M' then msgs = 1                     /* messages wanted */
      otherwise do                                     /* done */
         cmd = tst stuff
         leave
         end
      end                                              /* select; */
   end                                                 /* do forever */
select;
   when ¬msgs & ¬hdgs then stg = 'nfind M| nfind H'    /* if neither headings
nor messages, filter them out of response */
   when ¬msgs then stg = 'nfind M'                     /* if messages not
wanted, ... */
   when ¬hdgs then stg = 'nfind H'                     /* if headings not
wanted ... */
   otherwise stg = 'locate 1'                          /* both wanted - put in
a nop type stage */
   end                                                 /* select; */
mid = strip(left(userid(),6))                          /* for rscs cri
interface */
cmd = '(ML.'mid')' cmd                                 /* build the complete
command */
parse value diag(8,'Q SET') with 'MSG' msgset . ',' .
'PIPE (end \)',
   '  literal +'wait ,                                  /* wait no longer than
5 seconds */
   '| delay',                                          /* wait */
   '| fia: faninany',
   '| take 1',
   '| pipestop',                                       /* hold here */
'\ starmsg CP SET MSG IUCV'le'CP SMSG' rscsid cmd,
   '| eof: nlocate /'left(mid,6) 'M1L End of command response/',
   '| specs 17-* 1' ,                                  /* get rid of the what
kind and who from stuff */
   '| sort 11-14',                                     /* ensure properly
sorted by line number       */
   '| specs 32-* 1',                                   /* get rid of header
stuff                     */
   '| 'stg ||,                                         /* eliminate
messages/trailers                 */
   '| spec 5-* 1',                                     /* eliminate the "B1L"
                      */
   '| stem' array '1',                                 /* put in caller's array
                      */
'\ eof:',                                              /* headers and trailers
to here                */
   '| fia:'
'CP SET MSG' msgset                                    /* cleanup and back to
normal                  */

return 0

GETRSCS HELPCMS

.cm
.cm This HELP Menu documwents the GETRSCS EXEC.
.cm
.cm Author: Richard Schuh
.cm

GETRSCS, which must be called by a REXX program, issues an
RSCS command and returns the response to the caller in a stem
variable.

Command Format:
               ;- STEM REPLY. -;
 >>-- GETRSCS -;---------------;-;--------;-;-----;- cmd -><
               '-- STEM var  --' '- TEST -' ;|<--|;
                                            ;- H -;
                                            '- M -'
Where: STEM var - specifies the name of the stem variable into which
                  the command response is to be returned. The stem of
                  a REXX variable that part of the variable name that
                  preceeds the last period. The response will be
                  returned in the variables var.1 var.2 ... var.n and
                  var.0 will be set to equal the number of lines in
                  the response. If omitted, the stem will default to
                  "reply.".
       TEST     - requests that the command be sent to the test RSCS
                  machine.
       H        - requests that response headings be returned in
                  addition to the text of the response. Normally, only
                  the text is returned.
       M        - requests that response messages be returned in
                  addition to the text of the response.
       cmd      - is the RSCS command to  be issued.

GETRSCS can be invoked in any of the following ways from within a REXX
program:

   'EXEC GETRSCS parms'

   call getrscs parms

   retcode = getrscs(parms)