If you only want the disk label, there is the DEVTYPE command.

Kris,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support

Colin Allinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
2006-12-12 09:22
Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Checking a DASD label

I am linking to a fullpack minidisk and, in preparation for a copy, I want
to check the label on the source disk is what it should be.

In our environment the label could have changed since the DASD was
attached to the system so Q DASD DETAILS or looking at the RDEV block
won't help.

If the DASD has a standard CP/OS label then accessing it as a minidisk
will get the information I require - but it is possible that some DASD
might have only minimal labels. I have not found one to try yet but I
don't think ACCESS will work for these.

The only way I can think of is to physically read the first track of the
disk and process it. Any ideas on the best way to do this? DDR seems a bit
unweildy in terms of getting the output into an EXEC/PIPE for processing.

My current code caters for most situations but I would like to build a
comprehensive solution.

Thanks in advance,

Colin Allinson
Amadeus Data Processing