Alan is correct (of course).  The VM DUPLEX DETAILS output only applies to
the legacy 3990 Duplex function, not PPRC.   However, if you have APAR
VM63256 applied on z/VM 3.1.0, 4.2.0, or 4.3.0 you should be seeing a line
on Q DASD DETAILS as follows:

PPRC DETAILS: xxxxxxx VOLUME

>From the help file:
---------------------------------------
The eighth line of the response, PPRC DETAILS, tells you the queried active
Peer-to-Peer Remote Copy mode. In the above sample, xxxxxxx is one of the
modes:
  o PRIMARY. The volume from which PPRC makes a copy.
  o SECONDARY. The volume that maintains a consistent copy of the primary
    volume.
  o CASCADING INTERMEDIATE. The volume that can be both a PPRC primary and
    secondary volume, allowing a multi-hop operation. In a multi-hop
    operation, PPRC uses a primary volume to send to a secondary volume and
    that secondary volume operates as a PPRC Extended Distance primary
volume,
    sending to a tertiary volume many miles away. Such a configuration
    supports disaster recovery operations.
If the queried DASD is not an active PPRC volume, the PPRC DETAILS line is
not
included in the response.

---------------------------------------

The APAR went into the base product with z/VM 4.4.0.

Regards, Steve.

Steve Wilkins
IBM z/VM Development

             Alan
             Altmark/Endicott/
             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
             Sent by: The IBM          IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
             z/VM Operating                                             cc
             System
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     Subject
             ARK.EDU>                  Re: PPRC and R/W Minidisks

             12/11/2006 05:28
             PM

             Please respond to
               The IBM z/VM
             Operating System
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 ARK.EDU>

On Monday, 12/11/2006 at 02:12 PST, Judson West
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 2nd somewhat related question, we are paring up both VM and MVS volumes.
My
> MVS counterpart is doing the MVS volumes (under a z/OS partition), and
I'm
> doing the VM ones. When I issue the CP Q DASD DETAILS command on a MVS
> volume known to VM, I get the following results:
>
> q dasd details 400
> 0400  CUTYPE = 3990-EC, DEVTYPE = 3390-0C, VOLSER = DSMP01, CYLS = 10017
> CACHE DETAILS:  CACHE NVS CFW DFW PINNED CONCOPY
> -SUBSYSTEM   Y    Y   Y   -    N       N
> -DEVICE   Y    -   -   Y    N       N
> DEVICE DETAILS: CCA = 00, DDC = 00
> DUPLEX DETAILS: --
>
> When this volume is queried on MVS, it shows that it is the primary of a
> duplexed pair. Why doesn't VM show this information also?

I believe that "DUPLEX DETAILS" is related to the older 3990
controller-based Duplex volume support, something different than
Metro/Global Mirrors.