From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Giovanni Cerquone
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2006 1:18 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Parallel Sysplex under VM

Hello folks;

As part or our DRS test we have implemented two production Parallel
Sysplexes under z/VM in a z900-1C7.

Parallel Sysplex 1 comprises two virtual CF's and two z/OS guests.
Parallel Sysplex 2 comprises two virtual CFs and two z/OS guests.

I've been experiencing Start Pendind conditions in both PS.  When I look
at the online LOGREC I can see lots of MIH entries being registered for
the volume where the checkpoint dataset resides.  I'm receiving waiting
for checkpoint condition avery other time and I've been playing
adjusting the Hold and Dormancy values of JES2 with no luck.  As matter
of fact the MIH entries are being reported for other volumes such as the
resident volume and volumes containg coupling dataset.

All DASD is sharing and we have GRS Star in place.

The Start Pending stuff is killing us and I decided to remove one
production system from each PS in order to supress the sharing. So far
no more MIH events.

Any suggestions as per the MIH value.  I found that the MIH value
reported by z/OS for DASD is different from the one reported by z/VM. I
belive this may be a factor.

Kind regards,

Giovanni

PS. I know that supporting of the Parallel Sysplex under z/VM is not
recommended for production but this is what we can do because the
machine type we have.