Found it.

I took the 3rd level VSE machine, TSTESA5F and brought it back up
second level.  Right after the "ipl restart has been bypassed" is the
normal stuff about the lock file.

LOCK FILE?  Argggg

This is a standalone system from the normal systems.  i.e. it is a
flash copy of our TSTESA5 machine, and that includes it's own copies of
any/all shared disks.

No problem when on 2nd level.

But....I took the minidisks statements, which included the MWV, for
shared disks and gave them to the VMTEST machine.  Then in 3rd level,
the disks were dedicated.  When the 1st "shared" disk, the lock file,
was being used, it apparently got some weird status back, that shouldn't
be there.

I updated the mdisk statements for VMTEST to just be MW, directxa, ipl
VMTEST and ipl TSTESA5F and got a little farther.  At least I'm now
seeing a real reason for the IPL to be terminated:

BG 0000 0I41I LOCK FILE  ON 140: NO VALID DASD
BG 0000 0J31A NO SHARING CAPABILITY. IPL TERMINATED

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting