Just to help me understand DB2 better, could you explain why you have a S
QLINIT in the PROFILE
EXEC of your server? I thought that was only for clients to issue.

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 13:01:34 -0600, Ed Zell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> w
rote:

>We are running DB/2 for VM 7.4 on z/VM 4.4 at service level 0501.
>
>Today I noticed that the LASTING GLOBALV file on all three of my
>servers is HUGE.  (SQLPROD's is 47,000+ lines and 276 blocks)  It
>is full of the same settings over and over again.  For example:
>
>SQL/DS  "DBNAME"SQLPROD
>SQL/DS  "RELEASE;7.4.0
>SQL/DS  "WORKUNIT"YES
>SQL/DS  "QRYBLKSIZE"8
>SQL/DS  "PROTOCOL"AUTO
>

>In the PROFILE EXEC of the machine, we do
>
>   SQLINIT DBNAME(SQLPROD) PROTOCOL(AUTO)
>
>which I understand will set up these variable in LASTING GLOBALV.
>This particular virtual machine is shut down each night before
>2nd shift and logged off and then back on so the PROFILE and SQLINIT
>do get executed at least once a day.
>
>In looking at the LASTING GLOBALV file, there are many lines with
>
>  SQL/DS  "RELEASE;7.1.0  and   SQL/DS  "RELEASE;7.4.0
>
>so that tells me this has been going on a long time and I am just
>now noticing it.  We did convert from 7.1 to 7.4 in October of 2006
>but it appears to have been growing like this since we installed
>z/VM 4.4 back in October of 2005 (although I can't be certain).
>
>Has anyone else seen something similar to this by chance?  I am
>wondering if this is related to SQLINIT and is a DB/2 problem or
>if it is a problem with  GLOBALV ... SETP.
>
>Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks.
>
>Ed Zell
>Illinois Mutual Life Insurance
>(309) 674-8255 x-107
>.
>

>CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE:  This communication, including any attachments, is
intended only for
the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and contains
 information which may be
confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, any distribution or
 copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communic
ation in error, notify the
sender immediately, delete the communication and destroy all copies. Than
k you for your
compliance.