Don't forget that it is usually easier to read a program than it is to
write it - 10% may be too low. :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Rob van der Heij
Sent: Friday, January 05, 2007 12:48 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: REXX compiling / EXECLOAD

On 1/4/07, Jim Vincent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In my experience with compiling REXX my initial response would be "no"

> you would not see much (if any) benefit.  There are two general
> reasons for compiling a REXX routine: to hide the contents from the
> casual observer or to improve performance when the logic does a lot of

> repetitive things (code loops).

If your compiled REXX program is significantly faster than the
interpreted version, quite often you can improve it further by at least
the same factor using some proper CMS Pipelines (open to challenges on a
spare evening).
Some people feel the first reason that Jim mentioned is also
sufficiently addressed by my plumbing (now that Melinda does not add
comments to my pipes anymore). I don't think that's fair. If you replace
500 lines of REXX by 50 lines with CMS Pipelines, you should not expect
that you also will can understand the function in 10% of the time. It's
just that when you're used to wade through pages of REXX code, you may
not have the patience to read plumbing.

Rob