Ah-- nope. They have it setup correctly. However, in my experience, that 'mode
conditioning cable' just never seems to work. The real simple answer is to put
a GBIC in the switch that takes long wave connections. Assuming you are using a
switch that uses GBICs of course. The cost will be a PITA - somewhere between
$500 and $1000.
-Paul

--- Begin Message ---
Hi,

We have purchased a used z800 to use as our compiler server.  The box came
with one GbENET LX card.  All our infrastructure is set-up for SX and not
LX mode.  Our hardware group added a IBM Mode Conditioning Patchcord to
the connection on the z800 end.  They did not use one at the switch end. I
read in one of the manuals that the mode conditioning cable should be used
at both ends, but the Hardware group said it should only be on the z800
end.  They said the switch is set-up to take SX mode cable, so the patch
cord is not needed.

We can not get the OSA card to connect.  When they dial into the switch,
they do not see a connection on the two ports we are using.  The card has
a series of lights on it.  The top half has an E0, D0, A0, B0, and a C0
light.The bottom half has a similar arrangement, but uses a '1' instead of
a '0'.  The only lights that are on are the A0 and A1, and they are
flashing.  I tried to find a book on-line that shows the z800 card, but I
have not been able to find one.

Do you think this issue is caused by the lack of the mode conditioning
patchcord at both ends?

Thanks,

Ken Vance
Amadeus