I don't know if this is a real problem or not, but I've read.....

Tape venders really, now, only create tapes for the tripple density
models.  If a tape doesn't validate for tripple density, it is tried at
double density, and if it doesn't validate for that density, it is tried
for single density.  Now a days, there shouldn't be many new tapes that
couldn't validate for tripple density.  So when you want a single
density tape, most likely you will get a tripple density tape, labeled
for single density.

Now, when you init a single density tape for tripple density, be
prepared for "some" problems.  Again, I don't know if when you init a
single density tape to tripple density, will the entire tape be
validated or not.  If so, great!  You can get rid of the bad tapes
before you ever use them.  If not, then you may have problems with those
tapes which may not show up until you use all the tape.

At $30 some odd dollars per tape, I would definitely try to reuse them.
 Hopefully, you bought good quality tapes to begin with and that they
are not too old (i.e. back in the days when they only made single
density tapes).

I would really like to hear about the results of the density
conversion.  How well it went.  Any type of weird procedures, etc.  I
think many shops may be looking at such a conversion and don't want to
replace all their media.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 1/8/2007 11:31 AM >>>
Mark,

That makes more sense (generally "3590-Js" are really the initial 3592
tape drives ... before the E05s came out ... and they use 3592 media
(ETC), not 3590 media (HPT)).

You will be able to *READ* any data previously written to your
cartridges by the 3590-B1As on your 3590-H1As.  However, you can *not*
append any data to a cartridge initialized on a B1A using your H1As.
So
you should be able to read your existing saved data using the new
drives.

Your assessment was correct.  After the cartridges previously
initialized on B1As go scratch, you will need to re-initialize them at
the "higher" H1A density before they can be written to using the H1A
drives.

JR (Steven) Imler
CA
Senior Software Engineer