No, I had not. Thanks, I will try.

             Kris Buelens
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             il.com>                                                    To
             Sent by: The IBM          IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
             z/VM Operating                                             cc
             System
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     Subject
             ARK.EDU>                  Re: Rexx performance question

             01/12/2007 10:23
             AM

             Please respond to
               The IBM z/VM
             Operating System
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 ARK.EDU>

Have you tried this too?
  PIPE LITERAL VAR1 VAR2 VAR3 ...| SPLIT |VARFETCH 1 DIRECT TOLOAD|VARLOAD
DIRECT
Note: the "DIRECT" tells not to try to resolve compound symbols, this also
means one must pass the variable names in uppercase (and stem suffixes in
the exact case).

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support