On Wednesday, 01/17/2007 at 06:47 PST, Thomas Kern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> You mean people actually get paid for this?

You betcha!  If you get yourself some Cisco router and switch education,
along with VM, VSE, MVS, and Linux network configuration expertise, you
have a marketable skill.

This is what happens when you let mainframers (who I typically define as
as sysprogs with no Classical IP Network training) start to manipulate
said networks!  Their natural inquisitiveness and fascination with shiny
objects puts them squarely in harm's way.  ;-)

The only problem is that they learn quickly which buttons give a shock and
which give a treat.  Worse, they share that information with others in the
herd, thereby reducing the "opportunities" for people like me.  (See how
upset I am?  See?)

But if I could have charged for all those VM TCP/IP, Guest LAN, and
VSWITCH phone calls in the early days, I could have purchased that small
out-of-the-way island I've had my eye on for some time. (sigh)

> A basic picture with sample IP addresses on each end of a connection
followed
> by a corresponding configuration file explaining all of the required
fields
> would go a long way to solving these problems. So, I reiterate your (and
DB's)
> recommendation to post a network diagram when asking for help with a
> configuration problem.

Amen.