On 1/22/07, Dave Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

It would be nicer if we could migrate entire running VM systems from one
physical box to another, and not just guest machines from one LPAR to
another. Although that would be a nice enhancement as well.

Maybe migrating the entire VM system would be neat, but I don't think
it would be my top priority. With current technology (CSE, shared
IUCV, shared DASD, etc) you can already build a set of VM systems that
look similar enough that you don't care where the virtual machine is
running. It would be more flexible if you could move the running
virtual machine rather than need a stop / start cycle. I think you
would want this most often because you want to do something with VM
(e.g. apply CP service), more than doing something to the LPAR or the
entire machine.

The big challenge would be to have very well defined for which virtual
machines it would work. You don't want something like V=R Recovery
which worked in theory but requirements were such that it could rarely
do so in real life.

For Linux virtual machines this looks "doable" (meaning that at SCIDS
you can not come up with a real reason why it could not work) even
though it will take some tweaking to make it work completely.

Rob