Do you use VM:Secure on those systems?
If so, I've previously posted a home-grown VM:Secure macro (thus, user
command) "INQUIRE", which will return most directory information
(obviously, not passwords or other security-related info) from the source
directory entry.  I can post it again if anyone wants.

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
Any opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of Hewitt Associates.

The syntax for INQUIRE is:

Function:
Provides users with information about their or other's directory
entry without the need to enter VMSECURE menus.
Syntax:
>>--VMSECURE-INQUIRE--+---------+--+----------+--->
                      +-Account-+  +-ACIgroup-+
 >--+----------+--+---------+--------------------->
    +-APPCpass-+  +-AUTOlog-+
 >--+-------+--+---------+--+--------+------------>
    +-CLass-+  +-Console-+  +-CRYPto-+
 >--+------------+--+----------+--+----------+---->
    +-DATEFformat+  +-DISTcode-+  +-D8ONECMD-+
 >--+-----+--+------+--+---------+--+---------+--->
    +-Ipl-+  +-IUCV-+  +-LOGONBY-+  +-MACHine-+
 >--+----------+--+---------+--+--------+--------->
    +-NAMEsave-+  +-NOPDATA-+  +-Option-+
 >--+----------+--+----------+--+--------+-------->
    +-PRIOrity-+  +-PRIVclas-+  +-SCReen-+
 >--+-------+--+-------+--+-----------+----------->
    +-SHARE-+  +-Spool-+  +-SPOOLFile-+
 >--+----------+--+---------+--+------+----------->
    +-STDEvopt-+  +-STORage-+  +-User-+
 >--+----------+--+---------+--+--------+--------->
    +-XAUTOlog-+  +-XCONFig-+  +-XSTORE-+
    +-*LL=-----+  +-*LA=----+  +-*UI=---+
    +-LOGON----+
 >---+---------------------+-><
     +-(-| Options |-+---+-+
                    +-)-+
 |--+-------------+-+----------+-+------+--------|
    +-USER userid-+ +-COMPRESS-+ +-LIFO-+
                                 +-FIFO-+
Where:
userid
  Is another userid other than your own.

*LL=   returns the "*LL=" (Last Logon) record
*LA=   returns the "*LA=" (Last Autolog) record

<Plus the following Hewitt Associates-only
 operands, although "*UI=" could be useful anywhere>

*UI=   returns the "*UI=" (User Info) record
COMPRESS
  requests that the Account code be returned in
  compressed 8-byte format.

"Colin Allinson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
02/01/2007 09:19 AM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Maximum virtual storage

Rob van der Heij <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote (in part):

> But I am tempted to reply that I need to see the first case where
> there is a valid reason to know what the maximum value is if you're
> not going to use it...

In our case we have an EXEC that set up a GUEST region (OS) with a
requested store. If we just believe the requestor, and the amount they
request is too large, we loose control. So, we try to validate the request
before we action it.

On 32bit VM we used to define 2047M (more than that gave a different
message) but now, on 64 bit Z/VM,  we define 9999M as we are unlikely to
have a user larger than that. However, I do agree with Greg that 16E is
probably the best option.

Colin Allinson
Amadeus Data Processing

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any
dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by
anyone other than the intended recipient
is strictly prohibited.