On: Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 09:16:38AM -0600,Huegel, Thomas Wrote:

} I think this should be really simple, but the brain doesn't seem to be
} working this morning.
} I have this little pipe, and the last stage is '|VAR NEWNAME'.
} How can a be sure NEWNAME is being set to '' (null) if nothing makes it that
} far through the pipe?
}
} 'PIPE FILERAND TOM222 PLI A  1-10',
} '| FIND --CATAL= ',
} '| TAKE FIRST 1',
} '| SPECS 9.9 1',
} '| STRIP',
} '| VAR NEWNAME'

The easiest way is to change the VAR stage to a STEM stage, like:

  '| STEM NEWNAME.'

At the end of the pipe, NEWNAME.0 will contain the number of items that
reached the STEM, and NEWNAME.1, NEWNAME.2 etc will contain the item(s).

--
Rich Greenberg  N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com  + 1 239 543 1353
Eastern time.  N6LRT  I speak for myself & my dogs only.    VM'er since CP-67