On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 10:24:38 -0600, Don W. wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 20:06:52 -0500, Lloyd Fuller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 15:06:48 -0600, Don W. wrote:
>>
>>>I am trying to define two z/OS guests that are using CRYPTO. The mainframe
>>>supposedly has two CRYPTO Coprocessors. The guests need to have the same
>>>DOMAIN. I thought I should be able to dedicate a CRYPTO Coprocessor to each
>>>guest and use the same domain. When I bring up the first guest, it seems to
>>>reserve both CRYPTO processors. The first guest gets msg HCPAPJ1708I No
>>>Processor is available to service virtual crypto unit (0/1). The second
>>>guest gets a msg that the DOMAIN is in use and CRYPTO is not available.
>>>Should I be able to run two guests using crypto with the same domain?
>>
>>To answer this we will need to know what type of processor.  The different
>processors handle things different.  In
>>addition, if this is a z800/z900 or older, you can only bind them to CPU0
>and CPU1.
>>
>>Lloyd
>>=========================================================================
>We are currently using a z900 but will soon have a z9.

There are significant differences between the crypto engines on a z900 and on a
z9.  Some of the differences are
good and some are bad.  As I said, on a z900 you only have two possible crypto
engines (disregarding the PCI /
PCI-X cards).  And they have to be tied to CPU0 and/or CPU1.

The z9 has one crypto engine per CPU to be enabled.  However, these are
different engines and do things
differently.

There are several good white papers, Redbooks and Redpapers available.  Search
on the IBM main web site for
Cryptographic and you will find lots.  Also, search on exactly "Cryptographic
Performance" and you will find a
document that describes the throughput that you can expect with your crypto
engine on the z9.  I did not find a similar
one (in detail at least) for the z900, but there are several presentations on
Technotes that describe the differences in
the various engines.

Note that MOST of the documents that I have found have been for z/OS, and not
for z/VM.  I think there were one or
two on z/VM and one or more on z/Linux (particularly with SSL).

Lloyd