There may not be a physical 3390 Mod 27. As newer DASD hardware has been
created, and with the need for larger and larger disks, the new hardware
emulates the 3390 in larger and larger sizes. We regularly use 3390 mod 27
DASD, with 32,760 cylinders on each device. These are emulated on portions
of disks with 9 inch platters. We¹re talking about going to 3390 mod 54, and
I¹ve seen messages talking about 3390 mod 81.

These are not ³just variable sized 3390 mod 9¹s². And your storage folks are
correct, none of these devices ever really existed. But then, how many shops
have any actual 3390 devices left at all? Ours have been emulated for many
years. EMC, Hitachi, IBM Shark, IBM DS8000... They all ³do² 3390, in varying
sizes and with newer features than a 3390 ever thought of. (Snapshot copy,
mirroring, ...)

I see that the $DASD$ CONSTS S file shows a 3390-9 as having 65,520
cylinders, but such a beast never lived that I know of. We¹ve just been
honoring the 3390 all these years by trying to do things they would have
done them. Had FBA been more popular at the time of the real 3390¹s, we
might be seeing 3350 mod 81¹s instead.
--
   .~.    Robert P. Nix             Mayo Foundation
   /V\    RO-OC-1-13              200 First Street SW