On Friday, 03/09/2007 at 05:30 EST, David Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Restoring a 1 pack VM system, then doing multiple DFDSS restores allows
> you to have multiple restores occur in parallel, up to the number of
> tape drives you have available, which dramatically speed up the restore
> process. Standalone DFDSS is still pretty dumb about making use of
> multiple devices; restoring under VM removes much of this stupidity.

You make my point, actually:  If the intent is to exploit z/VM's
capabilities, then create backups using the z/VM utilities, not z/OS.

Otherwise, you have to use multiple LPARs to accomplish the same task.  So
it's a question of how much z/VM will cost (on standard engines) vs. how
much multiple LPARs will cost.