From: The IBM z/VM Operating System on behalf of Alan Altmark
Sent: Mon 3/12/2007 11:25 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: [IBMVM] detach spool pack from system

On Monday, 03/12/2007 at 10:33 AST, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I have a second level spool pack attached on the first level  system,
> it's defined as CP owned  pack in the system config  on first level.
> Is there way to detach it dynamically  from system without updating
config or
> ipl ?
> q a557
> DASD A557 CP OWNED  52LSPL   0
> Ready;
> cp det a557 system
> HCPDTS143E DASD A557 in use by system
> Ready(00143);

No.  The Official Answer is to
1. Drain the volume
2. SPXTAPE DUMP all spool files to tape
3. Update SYSTEM CONFIG to remove the now-drained volume
4. IPL CLEAN
5. SPXTAPE LOAD all the spool file back.

You can be more selective and avoid an IPL by using Mark Lorenc's SPFPACK
utility from the VM Download Library.  Details at
http://www.vm.ibm.com/download/packages/descript.cgi?SPFPACK.