From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Mike Walter
Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2007 6:55 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: High Level Assembler

If IBM's High Level Assembler (admittedly a great assembler) is too
expensive for your pocketbook, look at the IBM Program Product Matrix
at:
        http://www.vm.ibm.com/vendor/vend520.html
for the non-IBM product: Dignus Systems/ASM, found at:
        http://www.dignus.com/dasm/

Word on the street is that a certain mainframe Operating System
developed and supported in New York State, somewhere *west* of Mecca
(more specifically west of Poughkeepsie) is written and supported using
Dignus's Systems/ASM.  But that's only rumor, I have no way of knowing
for sure.

At least it's worth looking into.

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
Any opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of Hewitt Associates.

"Alan Ackerman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
03/09/2007 09:51 PM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: High Level Assembler

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 11:45:25 +1100, Graeme Moss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Fellow Listers,
>
>I have been asked if we need High Level Assembler.
>
>We have three exits that I know of
>- VMSECURE but this can be done in REXX.
>- RACF (I have read CMS Assembler is OK)
>- RSCS - still to be examined
>
>Does any-one know of a product that we need HLA & HLATK for.
>We run zVM 5.2 with CA VM:Manager suite.
>
>Thanks
>Graeme Moss
>========================
=========================
==========
==============

From
z/VM General Information
GC24-6095-04

High Level Assembler
Although
 not a prerequisite for z/VM, the IBM High Level Assembler, V1.5
(5696-234)
 or later, or an equivalent product, is required to:
*
   Create a new DMSTRT for system languages (NLS)
*
   Create image libraries for system printers (FCBs)
*
   Create GCS application segments (CONTENTS macro)
*
   Access major CMS application interfaces (CMSCALL)
*
   Access most CP application interfaces (DIAGNOSE)
*
   Modify the AVS tuning control module (AGWTUN)
*
   Use RAS tools (such as MDCHECK, FS2SFSER, AFTCHAIN, PRINTBLK, and
PRINTFST)

*
   Use the API for data compression
*
   Use the CMS pipelines assembler macro interface
*
   Customize Language Environment or compile assembler routines used in

mixed-language
 user applications
*
   Use exit routines in z/VM features, such as DirMaint, or in
VM-related  products, such  as RSCS
*
   Create applications that exploit the IEEE Floating Point hardware
faci lity
*
   Add devices that cannot be sensed (updating HCPRIO ASSEMBLE)
*
   Perform local modifications to modules written in assembler
*
   Service the CP Loader (HCPLDR)
*
   Assemble any CP modules
*
   Use CP exit routines
*
Reassemble CP replacement parts for the RACF for z/VM optional feature

Alan Ackerman
Alan (dot) Ackerman (at) Bank of America  (dot) com

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents
may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if
this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately
alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including
any attachments. Any dissemination, distribution or other use of the
contents of this message by anyone other than the intended recipient is
strictly prohibited.