You **do** have to worry about how many CPs an LPAR has. Not always, but if
you know how it works, you can avoid the pitfalls, surely when you start
using capping.  My customer learned it the hard way on a 9672.  We had a
partition capped at 60%, a lot.  But, it had 6 engines, so each engine was
capped at 10%.  DB2/VM had a very hard time: it was able to consume a bit
more than this 10% but not enough.
If all your important processes are MP capable, I guess you have to worry
less.  A UP process though may have a hard time to consume enough when the
weight distributed over the logical processors is low.
BTW, VM's dispatcher works the same way.