On 3/16/07, Alan Altmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Sir, let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater, eh?  There are all
sorts of places where the underlying hardware does *not* shine through to
the guest.  Example: the integrated 3270 console.  VM continues to run
under VM just fine, albeit at a lower level of "awareness" of its
surroundings.

I did not mean to say that imperfect virtualization is bad. It's an
obvious trade-off and in most cases goodness because for
virtualization to make sense you do not want to be bothered with the
obligations that come with having all the bits in place.
Virtualization works because you *can* abstract from details.

What I tried to explain is that in-band controls means that CP takes
part of the resources for itself, and hands out the rest to the
guests. With out-of-band controls CP requires some other technology
(outside the architecture) that it does not virtualize for a guest. At
that point you're unable to stack.

And the built-in 3270 that you bring up is indeed one of those,
because CP does not virtualize it for the guest (unlike the line mode
system console with VINPUT and friends). Fortunately we don't need
that to be virtualized to run VM because we have something else that
works.

Rob