Date: Tue, 5 Dec 89 20:49:40 CST

Sender: MAIL/MAILBOOK subscription list <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

From: "Richard A. Schafer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Subject: History

I suddenly realized I had let something slip by without notice. (Those of
you with the full commented source to the code, go take a look at line 11 of
MAILB00K XEDIT.) For the rest of you, that line says that the original date
of the code is October 16, 1984. That means I've now been working on this
package for

For those of you who haven't been around that long, you might find a little
history of the project interesting. The predecessor of the current code was
written at MIT by a  fellow named Dave Burleigh. That's why you may
occasionally see a reference to "MIT MAIL". What follows is a note from Dave
he wrote me in 1986 when I was working on a presentation to SHARE on the
package. (If anyone cares, I think this would have been SHARE 66; the
presentation was published in Volume I of the proceedings.)