Snort-
  Depends upon what the *nix servers are doing now doesn't it? We have a few
instances that have not been patched in a couple years, but they are running
an internal application, have strict change control applied, and have not
access to the outside world. Indeed, the *inside* world has only very
limited (and well logged) access to them.

   I should explain here that we have only 10 "standalone" Windows
workstations in the entire organization; everyone else is running Citrix,
which is centrally managed and running on IBM blades behind locked doors.

  Instances running web servers however, and very much patched with just
about every patch that applies to them, even though they are also subject to
very tight change control. Something the 'PC' crowd just doesn't understand.

  Now, if by midrange you mean the iSeries machines; and they are telling
you that the *nix instances on the machine are only patched twice a year,
they are blowing smoke. First, the iSeries will only run either AIX or
Linux, both of which have more than twice a year patch cycles, and second,
the mainframe hardware platform is more, not less - secure than the iSeries.

-Paul